Mississippi Plumbing License

Mississippi Plumbing License

The plumbing industry in Mississippi can be very attractive with many opportunities especially when you have a certification. It’s important to know not only the technical know-how but also to stay current on ever-changing regulations. Experts in this sphere work not only with the business but also with residential customers. Continue reading this guide full of helpful information and learn how to start your new career and obtain a Mississippi plumbing license.

Do you need a license in MS?

The answer is both yes and no. You don’t need it if you’re working on a project worth less than $10,000. That falls under local jurisdictions. Commercial journeymen who have a net worth of $50,000 or more should have a permit. However, many cities, towns, and counties in Mississippi demand a local certification. That’s why you should find out what the local regulations are.

That means if you want to get started, you just need to meet employer expectations and county requirements.

What are the types of permits in Mississippi?

There are commercial and residential contractor licenses and both are administered by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC). The first one handles everything from pipe installation to welding, irrigation, fixture removals, and maintenance.

Residential plumbers complete the same duties, but for dwellings. The only difference is the capacity since the latter cannot work in spaces larger than 7,500 square feet.

How to get a license in MS?

The application process, exams, and charges vary, depending on the type of the permit. We will go through those requirements together.


Start with filling in the application that is specific to commercial or residential contracting. Then send the notarized package to the following address:

P.O. Box 320279
Jackson, MS 39232-0279

The form includes, but is not limited to the following requirements:

  • 3 reference letters; one from the bank, 2 can be from anyone, who worked with/for construction-related projects
  • A certificate of general liability insurance coverage
  • Income Tax ID or Federal Tax ID number
  • Fee (based on the type)


All applicants should take Law and Business Management tests. Further tests depend on the type of business.

MSBOC will send a bulletin with all the necessary information regarding exam scheduling and materials upon receipt of your completed request. All papers are administered by PSI.

Some specialty classifications require their own assessments.

BM & Law examination includes 50 questions, whereas plumbing has 70. The passing score is 70% for each section.


Aspiring plumbers may make use of trade and vocational institutions to help them navigate the profession and advance their careers. Some programs even help their students get externships. You can learn more when accepted into an apprentice program offered through unions and trade organizations.

Each applicant must take two hours of continuing education from a board-approved provider or teacher.


There are application and testing fees. Commercial journeyman license is $400, which includes one classification. The residential permit is $50. Each portion of the PSI exam costs $120, so taking both the trade and Law and BM tests cost $240.


Reciprocity agreements exist with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Those who are certified for a year in one of the above states may be eligible to waive the trade questionnaire only. For example, if you hold a Louisiana plumbing license, this refers to you. However, you will still be required to pass Mississippi Law and BM test. There is a $50 payment for each waived one.


Your license is valid for a year. At this time, MS does not require continuing education for renewal. You need to submit an application either online or by mail, pay $400 online, and upload the necessary documents.

How long does it take to become a plumber?

It is not possible to give a precise answer, as it depends on the career you pursue.

After graduating from high school and receiving General Education Development (GED), you can pursue plumbing certification through either vocational school or apprenticeship.

Vocational school lasts around 2 years. The program provides deep knowledge. Apprenticeships last from two to five years depending on the curriculum. It’s usually sponsored by a union or a business.

Both of them have advantages, so you need to decide which path to choose.

To become a journeyman, however, training and tuition are insufficient. You must have enough experience.

Nune G

Nune G

Hello World! I'm comparatively new in content writing but have a great desire to learn and practice. This is a whole new world for me and I already like what I do. I like doing research, as on the way to that you read and learn things that you've never paid attention to.